photo LH_homenav_zps66f4cc73.png photo LH_aboutnav_zps8a64874e.png photo LH_favoritesnav_zpsc786ae69.png photo LH_navend_zps3fc35a7a.png

Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Day In The Life.....

.....of a working mommy!!  It's a busy one.  :)  I'm always SO thankful I have this blog.  As much as I've told myself I'll remember everything....it's just not possible.  Time flies by and everything starts running together.  I'm still not quite sure how our baby is TWO years old!  So, I thought I'd do a little post about our daily/weekly routine.  I'm pretty sure nobody cares.  But, I know I'll look back on this one day and smile. 
You can't truly understand the depth of being a parent until you are one.  I always knew it'd be a busy life and now we're happily living that chaos!  Every minute you think of your child and their well being.  A full night sleep will probably never occur again.  And I'm SO thankful for that (the bags under my eyes aren't though)! 


5:20 am:  Gordon and I are usually out of bed around now.  William wakes up around 5:45 or 6:00 (weekdays and weekends....he doesn't know the difference).  That means, I have 30 minutes to shower and get me ready and fed before the little man takes over my attention.
6:00:  breakfast for William
6:15: get W dressed for the day
6:30:  out the door we go!
7:15:  if traffic was good we are at daycare by now.  Some days are better than others during drop off.  There are usually a few tears from little man. 
7:40:  Clock into work and get moving!  Start IVs, make kids cry (they don't like needles), run around like a crazy lady, pee maybe twice a day, talk to lots of pharmacies on the phone, give chemotherapy, hug crying babies, etc, etc, etc.....
11:00-11:30:  Lunch in the cafeteria
6:00 pm:  I usually clock out around this time.  Give or take 15 minutes.
6:15:  Pick little man up from daycare.  There's usually a million things on my "to do list" but getting William in and out of the car is a NO go these days.  He's just ready to be home.  So am I! 
6:45:  We are home!  Lately, there's a bit of screaming during this time.  W wants to stay outside and play but it's time for dinner so in the highchair he goes (still screaming usually).  I make William dinner and then get started on the grown ups dinner.  While I cook William eats and we "talk". 
7:30:  Daddy gets home!  By now William is done eating so Gordon and I usually have to wait to eat until after William's in bed. 
7:45:  If there's time we play outside for a little while but usually we go straight to the bath.
8:15:  PJs on, William brushes his teeth and hair and we read a few books.
8:30:  Into bed we go!
You would think our night would be winding down now.  Nope.  The fun is just beginning.  We eat. Do dishes.  Put leftovers away.  Take out trash.  Laundry.  Vacuuming (have you ever looked under a toddlers highchair?!?!  gross).  Gordon waters outside.  I guess I'm glad to have the bottle cleaning/sterilizing days behind us for a little while.  It's not my favorite chore!  I definitely have more "free" time in my day since I stopped pumping 8 months ago.  Bedtime for me is usually 10pm.  :)

I'm currently studying for a work related exam so I try to squeeze that in as well.  I'm secretary of Houston's local chapter of APHON which means I'm at a meeting, in the med center, once a month after work.  I try to blog at least once a week.  I've given up on ever watching TV.  I guess I just don't like it enough.  I'd rather read or watch a movie with G.  Every day is a little different.  Getting out the door may seem easy enough but when you have kids you have to remember 20X more.  Did I get the diapers/wipes for daycare, is his nap mat in the car,  did I wash it over the weekend, did I unfreeze milk the night before to make bottles for the morning, party day at school = cupcake making the night before....I can't even begin to think about when he's in school and all the projects and homework we'll be doing every night!  YIKES. 
 
This daily routine didn't include the fun things like your child vomiting all over himself and his carseat on the way to school (let me tell you how hard it is to clean vomit out of a carseat.  yuck.  LOTS of q-tips and Clorox!).....It's an even bigger problem when you have no change of clothes in the car besides a onesie that's too small.  Yep.  I sure did take our kid into school half naked.  I even had to make up a lie about why he was naked (and smelled) because I HAD to be at work that day.  Yep, that's right folks.  Mom of the year.  A small down fall (or maybe big one) of being a working mom is you are only aloud to call in sick to work 4 times in a rolling 12 month period.  Stressful.  That's all I can say about that situation.

We love the weekends!  We have so much fun together.  We are still up at the crack of dawn ready to hit up Little Gym at 8:15 on Saturday mornings.  :)  We keep ourselves busy with grocery shopping, church, yard work, birthday parties and cleaning!  I'll be sad when William no longer has nap time.  Those 2 hours are fabulous.  It's amazing how much I can get done!!! 

Life is busy.  But, it's just what I expected.  If I didn't love my life so much I'd never survive!  I'm pretty sure 90% of moms are even busier than me.

It's hard to believe that 3 years ago I would come home from work and sit.  Just sit on the couch and do whatever.  I got my hair done every 3 months and my nails done every other week.  I worked out 3-5 times a week and we went to the movie theatre every Sunday.  I even worked Overtime at the hospital on a regularly basis.  I had a girls night out every week or two.  We slept in!  I haven't had my hair cut since October.....if that gives you an idea of how things are going in this area!  Haha

We traded that in for a little piece of heaven.  Having a family.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Tired?  Yes!  Happy?  Very!     

So, the next time a fellow mom tells you she's "busy" but good give her a hug.  She probably hasn't slept past 5 am in a while!  ;)        

I LOVE this picture.  We need him as much as he needs us!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...