Monday, April 29, 2013

Wedding Weekend

On the same weekend as William's birthday, Gordon's youngest brother, Grant, got married.  I decided to go ahead and still plan William's party that weekend since I didn't think the Goodings would want to come back to Houston on another weekend in April.  It definitely made for a busy weekend since we not only had wedding stuff going on but lots of family in town.  Dustin and Skye flew into town Friday night and stayed at our house.  Since we had guests at our house and Gordon was going to be busy with wedding events we decided to board Gus for the weekend (more on him later).  My parents got into town on Thursday and my grandparents on Saturday!  I spent Thursday and Friday running around town like a crazy lady trying to get things done for the birthday party and for having company.  My mom and I also made a trip to Babies R Us for one of William's birthday presents.....big boy car seats!  Thanks Nana and Papa!!
Friday night we went to Brennan's for the rehearsal dinner.  We had a great time visiting with friends and family.  Afterwards, we stopped by my old stomping ground, Pub Fiction.  It's safe to say I had too much fun.  I'll spare you the details but I will say I was in rough shape the next day.  Thank God my parents and Dustin/Skye were in town to help me out since Gordon wasn't home much on Saturday.   ~side note~ yesterday after William's music class I went to dinner with some of the moms.  Hangovers got mentioned and we all agreed that we over do it when we drink since we rarely get out.  Oh the life of a mom trying to act young.  haha ~
The wedding didn't start until Saturday evening at 7:30 (and it was a full Catholic mass) so we decided to not bring William.  Things tend to get a little crazy after 8:30 pm (since his bedtime is 8pm).  He would have just cried at everyone and just wanted me (and to sleep).  So, I dropped William off at the hotel with my grandparents around 6pm.  The wedding and reception were beautiful!  At a little after 11:00 I headed to the hotel to get William.  My grandparents loved watching him.  They said it took him a while to get settled and asleep but he did great otherwise.  I'm so happy that he is starting to recognize them.  :)  I finally put baby boy into his crib at midnight, did a few more birthday things and headed to bed at 1am.  *tired mama*

From top to bottom, left to right:
  • Ready for some yummy dinner!
  • The Gooding girls
  • As you can tell he was not picture ready even at 6pm
  • With my honey
  • William with Ashley and Brandon
  • At the reception with Dustin and Skye
  • William talking to his great grandmother Grace on Sunday morning
Both of the dresses I wore during the weekend were....believe it or not....from highschool!  Gordon was proud of me for saving money and I was proud of me for being able to fit in them post baby.  I wore the black dress to Belle Ball my junior year.  That's right, all the way back in 1998.  I got the pink dress while I was in highschool (from my aunt's store, Swartz) but don't remember wearing it until college for Monmouth in 2002.  When I see pictures of girls prom dresses these days I'm shocked.  They all seem a little riskayyyy.  Thankfully, I picked some simple/elegant dresses that I was able to wear years later. 

As I've mentioned before, this weekend was really stressful for me.  I'm still trying to recover.  That may seem dramatic but after a year of breastfeeding and pumping and never sleeping through the night it all just kinda hit me.  I can't tell you how grateful I am to have been able to breastfeed William for this long.   But it hasn't been easy with work and life.  Keeping the equipment clean, storing the milk and finding the time to pump can be challenging.  As I sat in the church parking lot, in the back seat of my car, in my formal dress, pumping...I realized it was about time to quit.  The next day as I pumped on the way to the zoo for William's birthday party and again in the parking lot of Pappadeaux's before became my final decision.  I produce over 40 ounces of milk a day so I have to pump since William only eats a fraction of that.  It's going to take me a while to wean myself...thinking about it gives me anxiety since I've had lots of issues due to overproduction but I'll get there. 
Whenever I go to a wedding I can't help but get teary eyed and think about my special day with Gordon.  So, I posted a few pictures to help me remember!!!  :)  Our photographer, Morgan Lynn did such a fabulous job!!  She is someone I'll never forget...she has captured some of the most precious moments in my life. 

Some people go into marriage thinking the relationship is going to get better or be more fun.  I'm not one of those people.  I've always known that the easy times were behind us and that things weren't always going to be sunshiny and happy.  I knew marriage would take work and patience.
After you get married there are constant changes in your life and you have to learn to adapt and change together as a couple.  When you're newly dating, not living together and just thinking about all the possibilities ahead of you there's less stress.  It's a bit easier.  Now two and a half years into married life, a baby and a mess of a dog....I have to remember our happy wedding day and make time for our relationship because unfortunately it's not always first on our list. 
Gus, our French Mastiff, is having serious health problems.  Money is flying out of our pockets in record time and he's a peeing pooping mess.  Poor Gordon spends all his time at home on his hands and knees cleaning up after Gus.  When he's done doing that he's bathing Gus and washing towels and blankets to put downstairs that just get peed on again within minutes.  Yep, that's right.  Gross.  Gus is having a nearly $400 ultrasound tomorrow so hopefully we'll know more about what's causing this problem soon. 
Anyways, Gordon and I are trying our best to keep everyone happy around our house.  :)  Thankfully, he and I got some movie time in this weekend and are looking forward to our trip to Midland in a few weeks (we're recruiting Dustin and Skye to babysit over night.  haha).    
The link below is from a blog I read (The Bachelor Sean's sister).  She did a series on marriage that I've been reading some so I thought I'd share!  At the end of the long as the person laying next to you has your back and supports you I think you can get through a lot.  For me, going to church and talking to Gordon about my feelings makes everything better.  Some days are better than others.  Some are overwhelming stressful and some are blissfully happy and calm.  ...but like G says, "I wouldn't have it any other way."
I sure do love this man!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...